by Scarlett Underwood
Getting your daily workout in the winter can become a struggle for many and you aren’t alone. Luckily, there are things you can do to help make it a little easier. Whether you work out indoors and you can’t shake the fact that the sun doesn’t rise until later in the morning, or you love to workout outside and you can’t bear the cold.
For those that enjoy the early morning workouts, and find it difficult to wake up while there isn’t a bit of light outside, here are a few tips:
- Go to bed earlier: slowly move your bedtime back 15 minutes earlier each night until you are able to wake up with ease in the morning
- Set an alarm on your phone so you know when to be in bed
- Turn TV, computer, or cell phones off an hour before bed to help the brain wind down
If you enjoy outdoor workouts and can’t find the perfect way to handle the cold weather, there are a few ways to combat that as well:
- Warm up inside with jumping jacks, running in place etc. for 10-15 minutes before going outside
- Dress in layers that are easy to pull off as your body temperature rises
Additional ways to create consistency throughout the winter weather is to have a workout buddy. Having someone who will create accountability with you sets you both up for success. Plan what time you will get your daily cardio, or pump in, and stick to it. Put your workout clothes on, and head straight to the gym. Once you are there, you have come too far to turn around and skip your sweat session.
Scarlett Underwood Contact
Scarlett joined UTC Campus Recreation as the Coordinator of Fitness in July. She loves working out and teaching group fitness classes in her spare time, especially Les Mills BODYPUMP. In her free time, she is an animal lover and enjoys getting out to explore Chattanooga and all of its surroundings